BLENDER 2.79

Tomasz CEDRO tomek at cedro.info
Sat Apr 18 20:56:00 UTC 2020

On Sat, Apr 18, 2020 at 10:45 PM Adam Weinberger  wrote:
> BGE is gone and done, and in most cases FreeBSD does not keep old
> versions of ports around, and that's especially true for massive and
> complex projects like Blender.
>
> When UPBGE matures it'd be great to have it in the tree, but bringing
> back unsupported and unmaintained older versions of software isn't a
> path we go down very often. If Blender were a trivial build, it'd be
> more feasible, but the complexity of the maintenance burden is
> difficult to overcome.
> # Adam

Hello Adam and thank you for quick response :-)

Well I don't like the situation either as this destroys core of my
work that I have created for years. I never suspected anything like
this from Open-Source (except the work is sponsored by competitor).
The alternative is not to use Blender anymore. And I have been using
it since 2000 :-(

Even Blender Development Team suggests using 2.79 to have BGE working.

UPBGE is not really mandatory as it is incompatible with BGE.

All dependencies have their own dedicated separate ports. I have been
using it for months now and it seems to be in align with other ports
with no conflicts.

But if this is a problem and risk I can understand and will stick to
build it on my own..

Best regards,
Tomek