python 2.7 marked as deprecated and EOL while 2.7.18 RC is available

D'Arcy Cain darcy at druid.net
Sat Apr 18 09:57:35 UTC 2020

On 2020-04-18 04:06, andrew clarke wrote:
> Out of interest I ran "pkg del python27" on my FreeBSD machine just to
> see what would break. Conspicuous was devel/mercurial:

I did the same thing.  Out of 19 packages to be deleted here are the
four that matter.  I believe the rest are mainly dependencies for these
four.

        asterisk16: 16.9.0
        freeradius3: 3.0.20
        lilypond: 2.18.2_10
        mailman: 2.1.29_6

I was surprised to find Asterisk in that list.  It appears to be due to
a dependency on net-snmp.  I am rebuilding with Python bindings removed
from the config.  If net-smtp can't be build with 3.x then the option
should probably be removed.

I rebuilt freeradius3 which pulled in Python2.7.  I then removed
python27 and it did not remove freeradius3.  I then modified the
Makefile to change PYTHON_USES to 2.7 and it built fine.  I have no way
to test if it works yet.

I tried building lilypond with python2.7 removed from USES but its
configure script failed due to Python < 3.0.  I couldn't find any
discussion about upgrading the version of Python but WikipediA says that
it has 120,000 lines Python code.  As far as I can tell there is nothing
as good as Lilypond for engraving music.  It would be quite a blow to
musicians if that was removed.

As for mailman, it looks like we only need to upgrade to a current
version.  The site says that 3.x uses Python 3.  Requires it in fact.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy at druid.net>         |  Democracy is three wolves
+1 416 788 2246     (DoD#0082)    (eNTP)   |  what's for dinner.
IM: darcy at VybeNetworks.com, VoIP: sip:darcy at druid.net