python 2.7 marked as deprecated and EOL while 2.7.18 RC is available

Robert Huff roberthuff at rcn.com
Sat Apr 18 02:19:07 UTC 2020

George Mitchell writes:

>  >>  But basically, expect all python 2.x using ports to go away, unless
>  >>  they get fixed to use python 3.x, or no python at all.
>  >
>  > 	Is there a method whereby - given a list of installed ports using
>  > python 2 - one might determine which can and which cannot be upgraded
>  > to pythin 3?
>  > [...]
>
>  There's a heuristic method: run the python program "2to3" on the
>  file you want to asses.  It will try to replace 2.x usages with
>  their 3.x equivalents.  Success is not guaranteed.  (2to3 is part
>  of python27.)                                        -- George

	Let me be more precise.
	I have a list of 110 installed ports flavored "py27-".
	For each port I want to know:

	a) according to the Makefile, is it possible to build this with
		python-37?  (Or even -36?)
	b) will doing so break any port for which this port is a dependency?

	I understand the only way to answer (b) may be by trial-and-error;
fair enough.  But if I can identify all those with no dependants
... that would be a start.

			Respectfully,

				Robert Huff