Running tests in ports Makefiles?

Adam Jimerson vendion at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 11:17:34 UTC 2020

Hello all,

Hopefully a quick question, is it common place in the ports tree to run tests
for the software being ported in the Makefile or should we just expect/
encourage upstream to do tests for FreeBSD and leave it at that?

I ask because one of the ports that I am maintaining is written in Go, uses
the standard test suite that is built into the Go tool chain which means no
additional dependencies to be able to add this only a slightly longer build
time, currently `make package` takes 27.8 seconds on a system with a 16 CPU
cores and 32 Gb ram.