current: cd /lib ; ln -s libncurses.so.9 libncurses.so.8 xterm & ffox

Baptiste Daroussin bapt at FreeBSD.org
Thu Apr 2 08:00:16 UTC 2020

On Wed, Apr 01, 2020 at 08:01:35PM +0200, Dimitry Andric wrote:
> On 2020-04-01 02:22, Julian H. Stacey wrote:
> > Hi ports@
> > A libcurses version problem:
> >
> > Running 13.0-CURRENT with
> > /usr/src
> >   cat .svn_revision 359319
> >   cat .ctm_status src-cur 14430
> > /usr/ports
> >   cat .svn_revision 529842
> >   cat .ctm_status ports-cur 13423
> >
> > After
> >   pkg upgrade
> >   pkg autoremove
> > xterm & firefox failed with
> >   ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libncurses.so.8" not found, required by "xterm"
> > Next to look at /usr/src/
> > ObsoleteFiles.inc
> > 	# 20200220: Upgrade of ncurses, shlib bumped to version 9
> > 	OLD_LIBS+=lib/libncurses.so.8
>
> Yeah, this ncurses bump was handled pretty badly, as it breaks almost all
> installed ports (and a bunch of base programs too, if you are unlucky).
> Isn't there any compat package for it yet?
>
> -Dimitry
??

When the bump occured a month ago, an UPDATING entry was added as usual to warn
everyone, a compat12x package has been created immediatly and all the packages
have been rebuilt. What else could have been done? Can you explain me what I
have badly done here?

Best regards,
Bapt