FLAVORS for Ruby

David Demelier markand at malikania.fr
Wed Oct 16 07:12:59 UTC 2019

Le 16/10/2019 à 09:02, David Demelier a écrit :
> Le 15/10/2019 à 18:41, Steve Wills a écrit :
>> I disagree with the idea that we can have simply one version of Ruby
>> in ports. Look at all the work it takes to move an app like GitLab to
>> a new version of Ruby:
>>
>> https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/gitlab-foss/issues/41825
>> https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/gitlab-foss/issues/57323
>>
>> I see no reason to think Ruby 2.7 will be any different.
>
> So Ruby team is lying with their versioning promise?

So they say to follow semantic versioning while it's not [0]

     MINOR: increased every christmas, may be API incompatible

Definitely not what semantic versioning defines. I finally understand
why other languages gained popularity over it ;)

[0]:
https://www.ruby-lang.org/en/news/2013/12/21/ruby-version-policy-changes-with-2-1-0/

--
Regards