Omg upgrade wants to install MySQL

Eugene Grosbein eugen at grosbein.net
Sun Nov 3 01:35:36 UTC 2019

02.11.2019 20:48, @lbutlr wrote:

> I have mariadb101 (client and server) installed, but when looking at what pkg update will do, one of the things it will do is install MySQL. Is there something I need to do to tell it to use MariaDB instead?
>
> Since I am here, it also wants to install a bunch of X11 packages, but I neither want nor have any desktop environment installed, so similar question, how can I tell pkg to run in “don’t enable GUIs” mode?

Your choices are:

- you may use default package repository and then you must use default package builting options and flavours,
e.g. MySQL and not MariaDB, packages built with X11 options enabled etc.;
- or you may use non-default packages (f.e. MariaDB instead of MySQL) and then you either build and
use your own package repository containing packages built with your preferences;
- or you just build some packages using ports while using default package repository for distinct
packages and don't use "pkg upgdate".

I prefer third option. Sometimes it is handy to "pkg lock" packages you installed from ports buiklt with non-default options, too.