Reinstalling with dependencies

Baptiste Daroussin bapt at FreeBSD.org
Wed May 22 12:17:45 UTC 2019

On Wed, May 22, 2019 at 01:11:05PM +0100, Grzegorz Junka wrote:

> On 22/05/2019 12:51, Baptiste Daroussin wrote:
> > On Wed, May 22, 2019 at 12:43:33PM +0100, Grzegorz Junka wrote:
> > > Is there any way to reinstall a package with all its dependencies?
> > >

> > > I am getting the following error:
> > >
> > > root at someserv:~ # pkg check -d
> > > Checking all packages: 100%
> > > elinks is missing a required shared library: libjs.so
> > >

> > 2 reasons may happen for that to happen:
> > 1/ spidermonkey17 does not have a proper SONAME for the libjs.so file it
> > provides (bug 1)
> > 2/ somehow the linked port seems to not register properly spidermonkey17 as a
> > direct dependency of elinks when the option is checked (bug 2)
> >
> > I have checked the case 1 and yes libjs.so is buggy I haven't yet checked the
> > case 2, but I quite sure there is a bug there as well, resulting in a package
> > that does not have the proper dependencies registered at the creation
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Bapt
>

> Are you saying that even if elinks was reinstalled with dependencies that
> wouldn't help?
>
> We have two issues here:
>
> 1. How to reinstall a package with dependencies (as stated in the subject)
>
> 2. Would reinstalling elinks with all dependencies fix the issue mentioned
> in the email
>
> I have a couple more packages broken like elinks. I didn't include them
> because I only wanted to post an example and assumed they would be fixed if
> I reinstalled them properly. But here we go:

No I do mean the elinks packages is probably broken when build with the option
that brings in spidermonkey as a dependency

> root at someserv:~ # pkg check -d
> Checking all packages: 100%
> elinks is missing a required shared library: libjs.so
> fireflies is missing a required shared library: libgfx.so
> py27-exiv2 is missing a required shared library: libexiv2.so.26
>
> There was also virtuoso but I deinstalled it assuming it's an old version
> (the new version doesn't build due to openssl 1.1.0 issue).
>
> So now I have two questions: Is it possible to reinstall a package with it's
> dependencies? And what to do with those broken packages above, should I
> report a bug?

I don't know for the specific case of the broken packages above, pkg check will
try to reinstall the missing dependency if any is found. If not, it just report
the broken packages and one has to figure out why those packages are broken.

I could easily guess for the elinks case. there might be similar reasons for
other packages.

For example reading at the MOVED file I can easily figure out that py27-exiv2 is
a package that no longer exists.

For fireflies I don't know, one has to check.

Best regards,
Bapt