ffmpeg port

Kurt Jaeger pi at freebsd.org
Fri Jul 12 08:45:02 UTC 2019

Hi!

> Le 12/07/2019 à 01:17, Adam Weinberger a écrit :
> > We really would love to be able to provide release or LTS branches,
> > but it simply comes down to resources. We'd need a few people working
> > in paid positions to manage RE environments. The FreeBSD Foundation
> > (which underwrites a couple very selective paid positions) has
> > prioritized development of new technologies to keep FreeBSD
> > competitive over third-party software backporting.

> I'm not sure how can a LTS branch that you usually never update (except
> CVE, security fixes) take more time than quarterly branches that you need
> to recreate every 3 months and do some merges.

> Basically, a LTS branch stay in marble for a release lifetime and will
> only contain sporadic commits for security fixes or vulnerabilities.

The problem are the merges. If you merge a fix to ports HEAD,
that same fix normally can not be applied to a LTS version,
because HEAD the LTS diverge fast enough to cause trouble.

Maintainers and committers in the general case do not provide two patches.

Right now, 12.0, 11.3 and 11.2 are still supported.

So a maintainer or committer would even need to provide four patches.
This is too taxing right now.

--
pi at opsec.eu            +49 171 3101372                    One year to go !