ffmpeg port

David Demelier markand at malikania.fr
Thu Jul 11 13:18:37 UTC 2019

Le 10/07/2019 à 13:59, Jan Beich a écrit :
> Why not use binary packages? Or why not build a quarterly branch?
> Or does anyone have better ideas?

Unfortunately quarterly branches do not solve anything. They are just to
short to have any benefit. Let say you build a package in January and
then you don't touch your system for a while. In September, you realize
you need another port but your local ports also have vulnerabilities.
Now you have to update by changing the quarterly branch since others are
no longer maintained. Then, you may have some local ports that will be
upgraded to a major version which can be undesired for a production
server. This happened to me a while ago when I had to run an old version
of nodejs for an old version of etherpad, after an upgrade the new
nodejs version was no longer compatible and I needed to install node6
port quickly (hopefully it was available !).

This can be very frustrating since FreeBSD is a rock solid server OS
that comes with strong compatibility conventions in releases versions
but provides a ports tree in a rolling release fashion that do not match
the base version (unlike OpenBSD does). Then you have to carefully check
each time you need to update your ports that you won't break your system
(like many do with Arch, Gentoo, etc). IMHO, FreeBSD definitely requires
a per-RELEASE branches of ports that contain only bugfixes/security fixes.

--
David