dns/bind911 - statistics-file

Dan Langille dan at langille.org
Sun Jan 20 00:51:19 UTC 2019

Mat,

I encountered an odd situation where my stats file kept changing permissions.  With every reinstall of bind911,
the permissions on var/run/named/stats change to chown root:bind which prevents bind from updating the file.

This is what I need:

$ ls -l /var/run/named/stats
-rw-r--r--  1 bind  bind  11507 Jan 20 00:45 /var/run/named/stats

Could that change be carried out by this file?

  https://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports/head/dns/bind911/files/BIND.chroot.dist?view=markup#l24

I don't see a reference to /var/run/named/stats in BIND.chroot.dist but can't help but wonder if it's something similar.

I have been using these options:

        directory       "/usr/local/etc/namedb/working";
        pid-file        "/var/run/named/pid";
        dump-file       "/var/dump/named_dump.db";
        statistics-file "/var/run/named/stats";
        zone-statistics yes;

When researching this tonight, I noticed the sample configuration uses /var/run/named.stats. Perhaps I'm doing this wrong.
I am happy to change my configuration, but first I write in case the script is doing something unexpected.

Ideas welcome.

Thank you.

--
Dan Langille - BSDCan / PGCon