replacement for xmms?

Samy Mahmoudi samy.mahmoudi at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 10:15:21 UTC 2019

xmms was so great ! I still use it and even managed to build a pulseaudio
plugin last year, as I needed to be able to switch between outputs while
playing (can OSS do that ?).

Why do you need a replacement for xmms ? I have personally noticed some
minor problems with xmms:
• old-style GTK+ menu
• accented characters don't display correctly
• while xmms is running, I can't easily switch between virtual desktops
(xfce4 + compiz)
• audio format compatibility (still pretty large with plugins)

I will have a look at the recently deprecated x11/gtk-theme-switch and the
gtkrc file for the first two problems, although looking for a modern
alternative is probably the best way to go.