How much memory to compile www/chromium?

bob prohaska fbsd at www.zefox.net
Wed Jan 2 00:03:58 UTC 2019

On Tue, Jan 01, 2019 at 03:14:26PM -0800, Mark Millard wrote:

> On 2019-Jan-1, at 10:21, bob prohaska <fbsd AT www.zefox.net> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Dec 18, 2018 at 09:49:03AM -0800, bob prohaska wrote:
> >

> > As a further test, I'ved added two additional USB flash swap devices and am re-running
> > the compilation of www/chromium. The swap layout is quite lopsided, with the USB flash
> > devices having only 2 GB swap partitions on each, contrasting to the 4 GB swap partitions
> > on the microSD card and mechanical disk.
> >
> > The first oddity is that top doesn't seem to see the extra swap space, reporting only
> > 7192M total.
>
> If you start top before changing the swap space (swapon or
> swapoff), top does not change to match: it does not monitor
> the swap space total size over time. But I've no other clue
> to the ordering that actually occurred.

In fact I made that mistake so I quit and restarted top. The
incorrect swap total number persisted. After a fashion the number makes
some sense: The small swap partitions are 2 GB, if the swap is used uniformly
the total would be 8 GB. 7192 MB is less wrong than the ~13GB reported by
swapinfo.

> You might want to report the types/models of the USB flash devices that
> were in used. Also relevant is the past usage pattern and amount of
> prior use on the USB flash devices.

The flash devices are the same Sandisk Extreme "thumb drives" used in earlier
swap experiments with buildworld. One is model SDCZ80-064, the other SDCZ800-064.
The former is rated USB3.0, the latter USB3.1. They're certainly not new, but
neither are they obviously broken (yet).

Thanks for reading!

bob prohaska