python distutils without setup.py?

Matthew Seaman matthew at FreeBSD.org
Sun Dec 8 15:23:52 UTC 2019

On 05/12/2019 07:36, Matthew Seaman wrote:
> There's a comment in the ChangeLog:
>
>    * Fully depend on Pip having PEP 517 implementation #607
>
> and the associated merge:
>
>    https://github.com/ansible/ansible-lint/pull/607/files
>
> has the removal of setup.py.  The docs now say that to install from
> source, you should run:
>
>    pip install git+https://github.com/ansible/ansible-lint.git
>
> Do we have support in the ports for python modules setup in this way?
> Is there a similar example I can copy from?

On further investigation, it seems that the new shiny as far as python
module configuration is PEP-517 and PEP-518 support:

  https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0517/
  https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0518/

which makes pip the standard for installing from a SCM system or a
checked out directory tree.  Looks like only a few modules have adopted
this as yet, but it should become a lot more common over time.

Before I leap into this with both feet, is anyone already working on
support for pep517 in the ports?

	Cheers,

	Matthew