emulators/i386-wine{-devel} unable to run config-recursive

Sean C. Farley scf at FreeBSD.org
Wed Dec 4 04:44:56 UTC 2019

I ran into an interesting scenario.  While attempting to build
emulators/i386-wine-devel within a FreeBSD 12 i386 poudriere jail, I
found that I was unable to run make config-recursive (via poudriere
options).  The error was:

root at portbuild:/usr/ports/emulators/i386-wine-devel # make config-recursive
===> Setting user-specified options for i386-wine-devel-4.21,1 and dependencies
make[1]: "/usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk" line 1577: Unassociated shell command "@${FALSE}"
make[1]: "/usr/ports/Mk/bsd.gcc.mk" line 190: warning: duplicate script for target "test-gcc" ignored
make[1]: "/usr/ports/Mk/bsd.gcc.mk" line 215: warning: using previous script for "test-gcc" defined here

The first line is make attempting to complain that bsd.port[.post].mk
was loaded twice.  That is probably its own bug in that it could not
report the error correctly.  I am not sure why the code does not just
use .error to exit at that point.

The issue stopping the port from building is that it has a Makefile.i386
file in it.  At first, I thought it was because it was including the
Makefile which included the master Makefile and had an error due to some
sort of SHLVL equivalent.  That was not it.  It turns out that the
Makefile.i386 existence was the issue causing bsd.port.mk to be included
twice.  I renamed it to Makefile.cross, and it worked.

My question is whether it should have worked as Makefile.i386, as it
used to work, or should the i386-wine and i386-wine-devel ports have
their Makefile.i386 files renamed.

Sean
--
scf at FreeBSD.org