PHP version retirement

Martin Waschbüsch martin at waschbuesch.de
Tue Aug 13 10:56:31 UTC 2019

> Am 13.08.2019 um 08:13 schrieb @lbutlr <kremels at kreme.com>:
>
> On 12 Aug 19, at 01:04 , Martin Waschbüsch <martin at waschbuesch.de> wrote:
>> So, I find it wrong to say, as I understood you, to remove a package from the ports tree because otherwise others people, for instance users of FreeBSD, would have the *expectation* of receiving support for those packages.
>
> There is not expectation that any code is being maintained, but there *IS* an expectation that the software in ports is being maintained, supported, and is functional.

Agreed.
But in which areas would you expect there to be problems for a package that was working up date x, got security and bug fixes until date x and the actual source code of which will not change after date x?
The only things that come to my mind are changes in packages it depends on or changes in the base os.