PHP version retirement

Franco Fichtner franco at lastsummer.de
Sun Aug 11 19:05:36 UTC 2019

Quarterly is essentially useless if the decision is to immediately axe a deprecated release. 3 months are nothing in production environments, if you get 3 months (1,5 months mean) at all and also all other updates and security relevant bug fixes in the same quarterly that you desperately need.

Yeah, we know that won’t happen so please don’t suggest it.

That deprecation policy is nice and well all by itself except when it wreaks havoc over the ports infrastructure like in the case of PHP version support where numerous ports are immediately unavailable and incompatible with upgrades.

Furthermore, the argument that it is more more work to maintain an abandoned version is silly because it’s more work to delete a port that to just keep it in the tree for a while longer.

That „while“ is debatable, but it’s neither indefinitely nor immediately. The people responsible for FreeBSD ports and packages would be wise to enrich their policies with a more graceful way of dealing with legacy software, especially if it relates to more than a handful of ports in a single deprecation decision.

TL;DR: don’t remove PHP ports prematurely and you’ll have less work reading mails like these.

Cheers,
Franco