editors/xed name collision

Adam Weinberger adamw at adamw.org
Mon Apr 22 00:49:13 UTC 2019

On Sun, Apr 21, 2019 at 6:36 PM Charlie Li via freebsd-ports
<freebsd-ports at freebsd.org> wrote:

> Charlie Li wrote:
> > The Cinnamon desktop environment now has its own collection of desktop
> > applications, X-Apps, basically forked from their GNOME and MATE
> > counterparts. The text editor, forked from editors/gedit (and will be
> > repocopied from there when committed into our main svn repository), is
> > named xed. This clearly collides in name with a completely unrelated
> > editors/xed.
> >
> > In the gnome@ devel repo, I've placed the Cinnamon/X-Apps xed as
> > editors/x-ed, with PORTNAME=xed, without adding to INDEX. The existing
> > editors/xed is not maintained in our ports tree, and it even looks
> > abandoned upstream (if an upstream even exists still). What do?
> >
> Bump thread.
>
> Since I didn't get any feedback with how to proceed, here is what an
> overwrite of editors/xed would look like (barring how git messed up
> file/path-level semantics):
>
> https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd-ports-gnome/pull/33/commits/01998e06a57f9a0aa4ed9ab063fc4a77a70ed171
>
> This is probably not optimal, which begs the question, is there a better
> way of doing this?
>
> --
> Charlie Li
> …nope, still don't have an exit line.

> vishwin for off-list communication if possible)

Setting PORTNAME=xed undoes any benefit of putting it in editors/x-ed,
as the PKGBASE will conflict.

I agree that the current editors/xed looks completely abandoned (both
upstream and within the ports tree), and I have no objection to
replacing it. That said, I think the current port will need to be
deleted and the replacement svn add'ed. The port isn't actually being
"upgraded" to the new xed, and making the svn history seem that way
would serve no benefit.

Even though it's likely that nobody is using the current xed, it
really should have a deprecation notice (backported to quarterly),
even if it's short.

# Adam

--
Adam Weinberger