Can two ports have master-slave relatioship across categories?

Hyun Hwang hyun at caffeinated.codes
Sun Apr 14 16:35:54 UTC 2019

Hi,

Source Han Sans is a font that supports 4 East Asian languages at the same time. Thus initially, I have split the font into four when porting; chinese/sourcehansans-{sc,tc}-otf, {japanese,korean}/sourcehansans-otf, respectively.
These four have all their own Makefile, pkg-plist, distinfo, ..., which now I think are great redundancy. This is what master and slave ports are for, right?

Question is: can these four have a master-slave relationship across their respective categories?
I have schemed the Porter's Handbook, but it does not mention anything about redefining essential variables such as CATEGORIES, etc.

Thank you,
--
Hyun "Harold" Hwang