ports/lang major version updates outside of OS version updates

Dima Pasechnik dimpase+freebsd at gmail.com
Sat Apr 13 18:49:58 UTC 2019

On Sat, Apr 13, 2019 at 8:01 PM Steve Kargl
<sgk at troutmask.apl.washington.edu> wrote:

> > You sure about that Dima?  Whether one or several the patching doesn't
> > appear to be complicated or difficult to maintain.
> >
> > > On Fri, Apr 12, 2019 at 02:58:22PM -0700, Steve Kargl wrote:
> > > For those people following along in the mailing list, Dima
> > > sent me a private reply that took this thread off the list.
> > > I am done trying to help fix the python ports.
> >
> > Thanks for the good work Steve.
> >
> > Many of us are still wondering why this change was made outside of a
> > major OS version update.  Wouldn't that have prevented the build bug
> > which started this thread?
> >
> > Considering the incompatibilities between python 2.X and 3.x (which
> > Guido has admitted was a mistake) please consider this a ports policy
> > request to require significant lang/* version updates be predicated on
> > equally significant OS version updates.
> >

> My patches have absolutely nothing to do with making
> 3.6 the default python version.
>
> I have added functions to libm that are included in
> two ISO standards.  This causes a name conflict with
> sinpi() in python.  My patches trivially rename
> python's sinpi() to avoid the conflict.  For some reason
> beyond the comprehension of mortal man, python at freebsd
> refuses to add the patches to the port.

they asked for these patches to be upstreamed, and I did it, so these
patches  now are in not yet released upstream python 2 and python 3
branches.
Backporting them to python at freebsd is totally trivial.

What else can be done here?
I can add these patches to the bug tracker...

Dima