pkg-static segfaults trying to reinstall pkg after upgrade to 12.0-ALPHA7 when synth enabled

Rebecca Cran rebecca at bluestop.org
Mon Sep 24 01:35:31 UTC 2018

I just upgraded from 11.2 to 12.0-ALPHA6 and mistakenly ran "make
delete-old" and "make delete-old-libs" before rebuilding ports.

When I subsequently ran "pkg-static install -f pkg" it segfaulted. I
ended up figuring out that it was because the synth repo was enabled in
/usr/local/etc/pkg/repos: moving 00_synth.conf one leve up allowed
pkg-static to complete installing pkg. After that, I moved it back into
place and 'pkg' now runs without problems.

I'm not sure how popular ports-mgmt/synth is, but it might catch people
out when they upgrade to 12.0 - assuming it wasn't related to my mistake
deleting old files too soon.

--
Rebecca Cran