KDE4 ports marked DEPRECATED

Adriaan de Groot adridg at freebsd.org
Tue Sep 18 11:52:16 UTC 2018

A bunch of ports commits at the end of August marked all the KDE4 ports that
kde@ is responsible for, as DEPRECATED, e.g. for x11/kdelibs-kde4/

r478483 | adridg | 2018-08-30 20:40:36 +0200 (Thu, 30 Aug 2018) | 10 lines
Deprecate KDE4 software, categories www-x11-themes

Since not everyone reads the ports commits, or my blog [1], let's repeat the
message in some more official places: KDE4 ports have been marked DEPRECATED and
will be removed by kde@ around December 31st, after a four month deprecation
period. We've tried to contact ports maintainers who have USES=kde:4, to
inform them as well of the deprecation. This has been partly successful [2].
Some of those ports are rapidly transitioning to a KDE Frameworks version;
others now have flavors.

Exactly how removal will work hasn't been decided yet. A one-shot "svn rm" and
modification of Mk/Uses/kde.mk is possible, but it will probably be slightly
less abrupt than that.

kde@ also maintains Qt4 ports. We have not said anything about them yet, but
that software has been EOL upstream since 2015, and as soon as the
maintainence burden from that ramps up at all, expect it to be cast upon the
dungheap of software history as well (via a similar months-long deprecation
process).

[ade]

[1] https://euroquis.nl/bobulate/?p=1969
[2] e.g. getting bounces from bitmail saying "pay $0.15 to deliver" is not a
success