how to enforce one version of python

tech-lists tech-lists at zyxst.net
Sat Sep 15 10:02:27 UTC 2018

On 13/09/2018 17:39, Robert Huff wrote:
> _This_  is really annoying.  I try to keep my systems with exactly
> what they need installed, to reduce both bloat and possibly security
> issues.

YES. This for me is *exactly* why it is so infuriating. And doubleplus
regarding security. Followed closely by something installing the py-27
version when I wanted the 36-version.

I'd like to have the latest stable python for everything that requires
it. Like I have with perl. I think that means py-36. I don't want py-27.
I'd like to enforce that, but seemingly I can't, because the invocation
in make.conf for default version does not enforce it in all situations.

If something wants another version of python, I want it to fail, ideally
spitting out a usable reason why. Is my position unreasonable? I hope it
isn't. Maybe it is? I dunno.

thanks,

--
J.