RUN_DEPENDS and portmaster

Stefan Esser se at freebsd.org
Wed Sep 12 10:04:10 UTC 2018

Am 12.09.18 um 07:58 schrieb Matthias Fechner:
> Dear Stefan, Dear Mathieu,
>
> Am 10.09.18 um 14:10 schrieb Stefan Esser:
>> This is a design decision in portmaster that has existed for at least
>> a decade.
>>
>> Use INSTALL_DEPENDS if you depend on a port being available and upgraded
>> before your port's do-install is invoked.
>>
>> Changing the current portmaster version in ports is no option, since it
>> does not offer to recursively upgrade or install any other port while
>> working on some port and it cannot easily be made to support such a
>> sequence of actions.
>
> thanks a lot for your explanation, so it seems to be a problem with
> portmaster.
> But as I do not want to block all users from using gitlab-ce that are
> using portmaster I think it is ok to define all RUN_DEPENDS also as
> BUILD_DEPENDS?

Yes, adding them to BUILD_DEPENDS will cause all those ports to be built
and installed by portmaster before the port that executes those tests.

I had thought there also was INSTALL_DEPENDS, but now I see that in fact
there only is INSTALLS_DEPENDS, which is used internally in bsd.port.mk.

So, BUILD_DEPENDS is the variable to use in that case.

Regards, STefan