amavisd-new failed to start after upgrade to FreeBSD 11.2

Mark Martinec Mark.Martinec+freebsd at ijs.si
Fri Oct 5 22:39:15 UTC 2018

>> Miroslav Lachman wrote on 2018/10/04 11:12:
>>> I upgraded mailserver from 10.4 to 11.2 (it is amd64 with GENERIC
>>> kernel).
>>> All packages were reinstalled from repository built in our poudriere
>>> for 11.2. Everything works except amavisd-new.
>>> Oct  4 10:21:17 roxy amavis[89209]: (!!)TROUBLE in child_init_hook:
>>> BDB can't connect db env. at /var/amavis/db: BDB0087 DB_RUNRECOVERY:
>>> Fatal error, run database recovery, No such process. at (eval 93)
>>> line 338.
>>> Oct  4 10:21:17 roxy amavis[89209]: (!)_DIE: Suicide in
>>> child_init_hook: BDB can't connect db env. at /var/amavis/db: BDB0087
>>> DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery, No such process.
>>> at (eval 93) line 338.

>> for the records - 8 hours after upgrad and the same error happens on
>> another mailserver. Amavisd is spamming log with errors about "BDB
>> can't connect db env" and does not pass any e-mail messages.
>>
>>> I found the same reports on the internet but no solution how to fix
>>> this. (enable_db=0 is temporary workaround but it disables some
>>> functions)
>>
>>> Are there somebody with working setup of Amavisd-new on FreeBSD 11.2
>>> with enable_db=1?

2018-10-05 22:18, je Florian Smeets via freebsd-ports napisal
> I've had to set enable_db = 0 on all my instances.
> Florian

Probably not the answer you are looking for, but: ever since Redis
database
backend was introduced five years ago to amavis (see 2.8.1 release
notes),
and soon afterwards also as a SpamAssassin bayes back-end, I never
looked
back at BerkeleyDB again. It was all trouble - the sooner you switch to
redis, the better - for reliability and speed, and also for added amavis
functionality (pen pals, IP address reputations).

   Mark