Port collection (incorrectly) marked as not supporting 11.1

Jan Beich jbeich at FreeBSD.org
Mon Oct 1 19:10:48 UTC 2018

Aryeh Friedman <aryeh.friedman at gmail.com> writes:

> On:
>
> FreeBSD lilith 11.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 11.1-RELEASE #0 r321664: Fri Jul 28
> 23:35:18 EDT 2017     root at lilith:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64
>
> Attempting to run make on any port produces:
>
> /!\ ERROR: /!\
>
> Ports Collection support for your FreeBSD version has ended, and no ports
> are
> guaranteed to build on this system. Please upgrade to a supported release.

Not just ports. The next package build starts on 2018-10-02 01:00 UTC
will be built on FreeBSD 11.2. Once it finishes in ~2 days say goodbye
to availability of official packages for 11.1.

Unlike some Linux distributions FreeBSD doesn't archive packages for EOL
versions, including previous /quarterly branches. The only exception are
packages frozen as part of -RELEASE but /etc/pkg/FreeBSD.conf defaults
to /quarterly, not /release_<0-9>. The rationale for archiving packages
available at the start of support cycle rather than the end escapes me.