pkg falls behind port version - how do ports become pkg's?

Karl Pielorz kpielorz_lst at tdx.co.uk
Mon Nov 12 15:15:19 UTC 2018

Hi All,

How long does it usually take for an updated port (e.g. mysql56-server
which in ports is at 5.6.42) to be available as a pkg? (pkg under FBSD 11.2
is currently 5.6.41).

I had previously thought all of this was mostly automated behind-the-scenes
"magic" kind of stuff - but four weeks after the MySQL port was updated the
pkg isn't yet :( - so I'm guessing it's not really that magic, and does
involve human time & effort? :)

Are ports turned into pkg's by the maintainers? - Is it done as-and-when -
or is there some kind of 'every x days / once per quarter' kind of thing?

Thanks,

-Karl