port building on small, single-board computers or cross building ports: for lld I'd like to use -Wl,--no-threads

Mark Millard marklmi at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 9 19:56:41 UTC 2018

For lld I'd like to use -Wl,--no-threads during poudriere-devel use.

ld.bfd and such reject --no-threads .

It appears that for ports there is no analogous support
of something like what buildworld has as notation for
specifying such:

LDFLAGS.lld+= -Wl,--no-threads

Any recommendation on an appropriate way to have use of
lld in ports also use --no-threads in its link commands
--but other linkers not do so?

Without --no-threads, lld creates approximately one
thread per "cpu" (as FreeBSD counts such). For
cross building, this can run into bugs under
qemu-arm-static and hang up. It may also use more
memory in low memory contexts that might do better
without such extra memory use.

===
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com