Heads-up: linker (lld) changes for amd64 coming soon

Ed Maste emaste at freebsd.org
Tue Mar 27 22:21:38 UTC 2018

(Moved from -current to -ports)

On 27 March 2018 at 13:15, Ed Maste <emaste at freebsd.org> wrote:

> Fair enough - this was the reason I sent the email. I've now gone
> through and submitted a PR for for each failure that did not already
> have one. I've also added LLD_UNSAFE to a few ports where where it was
> straightforward.

Via tobik's commit to lang/myrddin (r465725) I discovered
BINARY_ALIAS=ld=ld.bfd, which is a usable workaround for some ports
which don't honour $LD or -fuse-ld=bfd in CFLAGS.

As you point out in reply to my r465755 BINARY_ALIAS alone is not
sufficient, because arm64 does not provide ld.bfd by default and
LLD_UNSAFE automatically brings in ports binutils if /usr/bin/ld.bfd
does not exist. So we need both LLD_UNSAFE and BINARY_ALIAS.

Should we just have LLD_UNSAFE also set BINARY_ALIAS=ld=ld.bfd?