Request for a second "ffmpeg" optionality in packages (much as with ImageMagick)

Mathieu Arnold mat at FreeBSD.org
Tue Jun 26 07:16:44 UTC 2018

On Mon, Jun 25, 2018 at 06:31:31PM -0600, Adam Weinberger wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 25, 2018 at 6:08 PM Walter Schwarzenfeld
> <w.schwarzenfeld at utanet.at> wrote:
> >
> > I don't understand why? You set all these options to off......
> >

> There's something to be said here for packages that don't try to be
> everything to everyone. I'd be surprised if OpenCV is a common format
> for a typical ffmpeg user. It is far more reasonable to ask people who
> need unusual codec support to build their own ffmpeg, than to ask
> everybody to install 2GB of dependencies for a relatively common tool.
>
> You're right though, Walter, that it goes both ways, and it's also
> reasonable to ask people who want slim installs to build their own
> ffmpeg.
>
> We've never had a policy regarding dependencitis, and at the end of
> the day it usually comes down to the set of default options that leads
> to the fewest unhappy PRs.

I do not think we have a policy regarding dependencies, but we have
about options, the default set should be the one who benefits most
people (as in, most people should not have to enable more options by
themselves.)
The oposite may have been true years ago, but these days, 2GB, while it
may feel big by human standard, is quite nothing, hard drives are in the
TB, SD cards are also getting there, these days, SD cards up to 32GB are
available for less than $10.

--
Mathieu Arnold