Removing git dependencies on perl5 and python27

Mahmoud Al-Qudsi mqudsi at neosmart.net
Sat Jun 16 22:04:36 UTC 2018

On Fri, Jun 15, 2018 at 3:24 AM, Franco Fichtner <franco at lastsummer.de> wrote:
> The bottom line is that excluding Perl and Python support from git
> will make it only usable for automated shell scripting.
>
> Interactive parts require Perl or Python so there is nothing to be
> gained from breaking POLA for existing users of the git FreeBSD
> package or git software in general as any random tutorial out there
> may not work for FreeBSD anymore.
>
> For emphasis, this is suboptimal at best...

I did not realize that even basic functionality like `git add -i` required
perl; I am very surprised that isn't implemented in C (at least by now).

Personally speaking, it is the dependency on python27 rather than perl5 that I
find more distasteful (due to the size and scope). Do you know what features
python unlocks? (Not that this proposal has half as much bite if perl5 is
retained..)

Mahmoud Al-Qudsi