Installing javascript code into a port with npm...

Adam Weinberger adamw at adamw.org
Sun Jun 10 17:13:13 UTC 2018

On Sun, Jun 10, 2018 at 9:45 AM Willem Jan Withagen <wjw at digiware.nl> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The Ceph ports has since a while started to import all kinds of
> javascript code using npm. Which fetches external data and install this
> in the Ceph resulting tree.
>
> I have a question with this:
>
> How would that work under pouderiere building, because I was under the
> impression that fetching extra data whilest builing a ports is sort of
> not done.
>
> Other than that I still have errors in the building code, but I'd like
> to know this before I put major effort in getting it to work the way it
> now does...
>
> Thanx,
> --WjW

poudriere cannot fetch during build. (However, it can if you whitelist
it in ALLOW_NETWORKING_PACKAGES in poudriere.conf.)

The only thing you can do is fetch those dependencies as part of
do-fetch, or have the user do it after installation (pkg-message
instructions or a script or something).

Please, try *not* to create ports for the dependencies. We absolutely
do not want npm packages in ports unless there's no other option.

# Adam

--
Adam Weinberger
adamw at adamw.org