Dropping pxz port?

Jan Beich jbeich at FreeBSD.org
Fri Jun 1 14:59:55 UTC 2018

Mahmoud Al-Qudsi <mqudsi at neosmart.net> writes:

> Hello all,
>
> The pxz port is badly created (installing the package pulls in the
> entire gcc6 suite and gcc-ecj, just to deploy the binary), and ends up
> needing over 500mib of space for a very simple utility.

OpenMP on FreeBSD is a bit of PITA:
- base/ system on Clang archs doesn't provide libomp or libgomp
- libomp from LLVM openmp is guaranteed to be available only on amd64
- USES=compiler:openmp doesn't know about LLVM openmp (bug 210337)

archivers/pxz supports non-OpenMP by removing -fopenmp from CFLAGS.

> I was about to fix it when I found out that upstream pxz is both
> abandoned and broken ([0], and in particular, [1]). Perhaps it should
> be dropped?

Maybe. /usr/bin/xz --threads=NUM is supported on all FreeBSD releases.