how to make ports not install xorg or dependencies

Matthew Seaman matthew at FreeBSD.org
Tue Jul 31 10:59:06 UTC 2018

On 31/07/2018 11:41, tech-lists wrote:
> Hello,
>
> context: freebsd-12 r336215 arm64
>
> I don't want xorg or X11 or any of its components installed on this
> system. I install ports in the traditional way, in other words cd port
> && make config && make install. Any ports that in a generic config want
> to install xorg libs, I want the no-x11 variant.
>
> There used to be a way to enforce this no-xorg in make.conf but looking
> at /usr/share/examples/etc/make.conf I can find no reference to X Xorg
> x11 or xorg. I presume there's a new method. If there is, can anyone
> please tell me how?
>
> thanks,

Try this in /etc/make.conf.  It doesn't forbid ports from bringing in
X11 dependencies, but where doing that is optional, it turns it off:

OPTIONS_UNSET?= X11

All that does is pre-answer the configuration dialogue to say "turn off
X11 support."  That's enough to avoid bringing in X in many cases, but
it's no guarrantee unfortunately.  Some things just have a fixed
dependency on X11.  Note too that various ports will now fail to
compile, because they expect their dependencies somewhere down the tree
to have the X11 support that this turns off.

Also, if you're an emacs user, then

DEFAULT_VERSIONS+= emacs=nox

would probably interest you.

	Cheers,