setting port options for multiple ports

blubee blubeeme gurenchan at gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 00:34:22 UTC 2018

On 7/31/18, Guido Falsi <mad at madpilot.net> wrote:
> On 7/30/18 8:48 PM, Jan Beich wrote:
>> Guido Falsi <mad at madpilot.net> writes:

>>> There is no way to do exactly what you are asking for, but the
>>> "traditional" solution is to create a slave port forcing the options you
>>> require and naming it accordingly.
>>>
>>> This could also be done with flavors today, but keep in mind that adding
>>> flavors would require approval from both the maintainer and portmgr.
>>
>> Except anything else that depends on unslaved/unflavored port is likely
>> to cause a conflict... until variable dependencies come into play.
>
> Oh yes, I forgot to mention that.
>
> Thanks for filling my omission!
>
> --
> Guido Falsi <mad at madpilot.net>

After thinking about this, implementing something like this will
explode in complexity pretty rapidly.

The slave ports idea does create install conflicts or bloats a system
with prefixed install locations.
The port option matrix would be insanely large and require insane
amounts of testing to possible get correct.

Might as well try to touch the Sun; not saying it's impossible but
it's not a task that I want to embark on right now.

I'll have to figure out a better way to handle this.

Best,
Owen