Virtual Printer Port?

Dan Mahoney (Gushi) freebsd at gushi.org
Sat Jul 28 20:28:42 UTC 2018

Hey all,

This may be off topic, but does anyone know a port or configuration for
FreeBSD that can listen on a serial port and spit out a PDF?  I have a
piece of hardware (a hospital-grade pulse oximeter) that's able to talk to
an *original* HP Thinkjet with a serial port and produce graphical charts.
Like, the best 1993 has to offer.

I'd rather simply hook up a BSD box via a serial port and translate those
control codes into a PDF (or TIFF/PNG/postscript document).  The control
codes are pretty well documented, since you need them to make printer
drivers, but this is the reverse use.

Is there anything in ports that can do this?  Is there a better mailing
list to be asking on?

-Dan