RESTRICTED in net/frr

Kurt Jaeger lists at opsec.eu
Fri Jan 12 08:57:23 UTC 2018

Hi!

> Can somebody please explain:
>
> > Mark net/frr as RESTRICTED, it contains a possible GPL violation of some
> > of the Quagga software that it includes.
> >
> > Submitted by:	Paul Jakma (author of Quagga)
> > With hat:	portmgr
> > MFH:		2018Q1
>
> If there is an open reason it should certainly be cited in the commit.

As far as I understand it (and I'm by no means authoritative on this)!

- Paul is employed by HPE and maintains quagga
- HPE is/was also cooperating with cumulus, the folks behind
  https://cumulusnetworks.com/
  and the network operation system cumulus linux
- cumulus decided to fork quagga (first on github, on some private repo)
  see:
  https://lists.frrouting.org/pipermail/dev/2016-October/000000.html
  which mentions
  https://github.com/opensourcerouting/cumulus-private_quagga.git
- in the past Paul probably maintained it partially on company-time,
  but also in his private time. See:
  https://lists.quagga.net/pipermail/quagga-users/2017-October/014856.html
  This no longer seems to have the support of HPE (for whatever political
  reasons, I don't know). HPE might even have forced Paul to be silent
  about details.
- The cause of the rift seems that Paul did not integrate patches
  suggested by cumulus (?) as fast as cumulus requested.
  That was probably because cumulus did not provide patches in a
  piecemeal way that allows to understand interactions between,
  but in larger patches without much docs to understand the details.
- An early sign for this rift was this posting from 2012, where
  there was a quarrel on GPL (or the way GPL was forced unto those patches):
  https://lists.quagga.net/pipermail/quagga-users/2012-March/012846.html

If anyone has more links to more details, please provide them!

--
pi at opsec.eu            +49 171 3101372                         2 years to go !