monitoring ruby app memory usage with passenger-recycler (was: Cannot require library for passenger in ruby)

Marcin Cieslak saper at saper.info
Thu Feb 22 18:28:31 UTC 2018

On Thu, 22 Feb 2018, Karli Sjöberg wrote:

> > How do I interpret the output of 'procstat -v <pid>' though? Can I
> > sum
> > up all of the RES or PRES numbers to get the total virtual memory
> > that
> > this process is consuming?
>
> I hacked at it a bit and came up with an updated patch that includes
> the changes you made, plus my own.
>
> Since "private dirty RSS" isn´t available, I´ve used "maximum RSS" from
> 'procstat -r <pid>', which is far from perfect, but it´s better than
> nothing. It now runs and does what you´d expect :)
>
> I have attached it to this email.

Thanks! Now we should try to integrate it into the passenger itself :)

I think you might be looking for "private resident pages" (PRES),
but I am not sure.

For your particular problem I would log procstat -v output in its entirety
at regular intervals and see where the memory grows.

Happy you got there somehow :)

Marcin