Updating poudriere jail

Adam Weinberger adamw at adamw.org
Thu Dec 13 19:49:25 UTC 2018

On Thu, Dec 13, 2018 at 12:43 PM Carmel NY <carmel_ny at outlook.com> wrote:

> I am using FreeBSD 11.2-RELEASE-p6. If I use freebsd-update to install the
> new version 12, what do I have to do to update the poudriere jail? Plus, if I
> do update, will I have to rebuild all of my installed applications?

It's not really possible to cleanly upgrade a poudriere jail to a new
major. You'll need to delete the jail and recreate it.
  poudriere jail -d -j $jailname
  poudriere jail -c -j $jailname -v 12.0-RELEASE

If the jail name stays the same, it will retain all the options,
make.conf, and poudriere.conf. If the jail name has changed, you'll
most likely want to move those things over:
  cd /usr/local/etc/poudriere.d
  mv oldjailname-{make.conf,poudriere.conf,options,etc....} newjailname-...

You will, unfortunately, need to rebuild everything. After rebuilding,
be sure to run "pkg upgrade -f" BEFORE the final "freebsd-update
install"!

# Adam

--
Adam Weinberger