A potential new porter seeking some clarifications

Alexandre C. Guimarães rigoletto at FreeBSD.org
Thu Dec 13 15:39:12 UTC 2018

On Thu, Dec 13, 2018 at 10:41:01PM +0800, Arthur Pirika wrote:
> Hi all! I’m hoping to get into porting for FreeBSD, right now just focusing on one package, a plugin for bitlbee, however I’d like to extend my hand to maintain other ports in the future once I have more knowledge and practice with the system.

Hello!

> Before I start, though, I just need some clarifications of things from the porter’s handbook.
>
> 1. If I understand correctly, the version of the ports tree as fetched by portsnap isn’t the best for working on the tree. I should instead make another copy of the tree as an svn checkout? Distfiles, however, still go to /usr/ports/distfiles

You don't necessary need use a separated copy of the ports tree, you can
use a svn copy in the default location; however it can become a bit
problematic sometimes, like when you are working on ports that you use but
you won't/can't use the updated version yet.

Portsnap is intended for end users only, so it is not really practical to
use while working with ports, and you can get all your work deleted with a
random tree update. ;-)

> 2. Is it absolutely necessary to use poudriere before submitting a port?
>    I’m still getting to grips with how it works, and if I need to get
>    comfortable with it first, I’ll do so.

Poudriere is the default tool to test ports. The `poudriere testport`
facility does several extra checks during the building-packaging process.

So, it is very desirable to have its logs when you fill a bug report, since
it can speed up the review process.

Some help with poudriere:

https://github.com/freebsd/poudriere/wiki

This is a bit old but still helpful: