Porting python applications and meeting dependency requirements

Kubilay Kocak koobs at FreeBSD.org
Mon Aug 13 02:04:12 UTC 2018

On 13/08/2018 7:52 am, Carsten Larsen wrote:
> Hi @ports
>
> I am not so familiar with porting python applications. There seems to be
> some caveats, dependencies being one of them. Question is: Would it be
> difficult to make a port of The Onion Box? Source is on Github:
> https://github.com/ralphwetzel/theonionbox

It's also registered in PyPI: https://pypi.org/project/theonionbox/ with
its source distribution ('sdist') uploaded there.

Porting python packages is relatively straight forward, particular those
that use standard Python ecosystem mechanisms (distutils/setuptools,
etc). This looks fairly straightforward at a quick glance to port.

Dependencies are listed in setup.py:install_requires [1] which
correspond to RUN_DEPENDS

If some of the dependencies aren't in ports, they'll need porting first.

Some Python specific porting guidelines to help:

https://wiki.freebsd.org/Python/PortsPolicy

#freebsd-ports or #freebsd-python @ freenode IRC if you have any
questions or need help.

[1] https://github.com/ralphwetzel/theonionbox/blob/master/setup.py#L375