Reproducibility packages

Julian Elischer julian at freebsd.org
Sat Aug 4 04:38:15 UTC 2018

On 4/8/18 7:44 am, Yuet-nan Wong via freebsd-ports wrote:
> Are FreeBSD ports supposed to change version numbers when a change is made?
> Issue is reproducibility is void when packages have changed like suricata or the many changes to binutils. Some removing package content but version not changed. Need to diff Makefile is inefficient.

yes and no.

When any change is made to a port (or any component of it) at least
the last digit (after the '_') should be changed.

However if it has a dependency on another package, and THAT package
changes it's version number, then the dependency information in the
first package will reflect the new dependency, but the name of that
package will not be changed.. so you could say it is imperfect in
noting any external changes. I don't see a way around that at the
current time.