Archives of last quarterly package builds?

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 04:51:10 UTC 2018

On Thu, Aug 2, 2018 at 6:48 PM, Mark Linimon <linimon at lonesome.com> wrote:
> This was discussed in a long thread last June:
>
>   https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports/2017-June/109126.html
>
> Short answer: we don't have enough resources.

The OP there titles and suggests opening more development
branches, which is of course a much bigger subject and
resources, not really relavant to this thread here.

To be clear, as in this subject, "Archive last builds"...
(Builds: the binary packages,
Archive: to store, after the rest of the ports src
and builds have moved on)

No development resources are consumed, that is banned here,
see "frozen" in this thread. The only real expense in this thread
is a few minutes of sysadmin time once a quarter, basically
symlinks, and some HTML doc.

Will continue reading that thread just in case anyone there
had talked about simply keeping the final [quarterly] builds
around for a while.

In fact, since the packages have the hash in the filename
and thus don't collide, every one over the life of the branch
could be kept in physical distribution, even though only the
current set would appear in the pkg metadata files for use
by pkg.