Status of portupgrade and portmaster?

Russell L. Carter rcarter at pinyon.org
Sat Sep 30 23:47:49 UTC 2017

On 09/30/17 10:06, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 30, 2017 at 3:34 AM, Carmel NY <carmel_ny at outlook.com> wrote:

[...]

> As a result, I am no longer able to track HEAD and, if the issue is not
> resolved in some manner before 11 support ends, will be forced to move from
> FreeBSD after an using it for over 2 decades. I certainly hope that this is
> not what happens.

If minimizing the size of the physical machines you have access to is
a hard constraint, then a remote binary package linux distro would
definitely decrease your pain level.  However, the trade-off is
someone else selecting your package options.  (NB: I haven't used
arch) Indeed, my disposable travel laptop is debian.  Yet I try doing
as much real work as I can on FreeBSD because the packaging system is
world class flexible.  I *loved*, possibly too much, the ability to
nuke kerberos out of my world, both base OS and packages.  Try doing
that on debian.

But FreeBSD packaging flexibility comes at a cost, and that's mainly
cpu and memory when running poudriere.  In these days of giant &&
cheap && reasonably fast USB storage, I have a hard time giving
credence to disk usage complaints.  For FreeBSD's packaging
flexibility, I am willing to invest what in real dollars is a fraction
of what we were spending in the middle '90s just to get adequate
hardware to run FreeBSD.  It really doesn't take much.  I've given
away half a dozen boxes for free to people over the last 10 years,
that would support poudriere just fine (2-4 threads, 8-16GB) because
used white boxes seem to have nearly no retrievable value.  Not an
elegant physical package like a laptop, but *who cares*.

I am piping up because when I was restarting using FreeBSD after many
years (refugee from debian), you were an invaluable source of help to
me, and of course quite a few others.  It would be sad to lose your
positive contributions to the community over this issue.

All the best,
Russell