[HEADUP] FLAVORS landing.

Chris H bsd-lists at bsdforge.com
Tue Sep 26 23:25:29 UTC 2017

On Tue, 26 Sep 2017 16:10:59 +0200 Mathieu Arnold <mat at FreeBSD.org> wrote

> Le 26/09/2017 à 16:05, Mathieu Arnold a écrit :
> > Hi,
> >
> > **Do not commit FLAVORS to any ports, a hook will prevent it, that being
> > said, do try it and test what can be done.**
> >
> > To test this feature in poudriere, you need
> > poudriere-devel-3.1.99.20170621 or later.
> >
> > This has been a long awaiting feature, most of the work has been done by
> > bapt, bdrewery and antoine, I am just the one actually doing the
> > announce and commit and all.
> >
> > All this information, and more to come are in the first link to our wiki
> > in the bottom block. A roadmap is in the second link.
>
> Of course, I forgot those two links.
> https://wiki.freebsd.org/Ports/FlavorsMigration
> https://wiki.freebsd.org/Ports/FlavorsAndSubPackages
>
> > To define a different flavors in a port, before any include, set:
> >
> > FLAVORS=  flavor1 flavor2 [...]
> >
> > The first flavor in the list will be the default.
> >
> > You can then check for flavors after includ'ing bsd.port.options.mk with:
> >
> > .if ${FLAVOR} == flavor2
> > [change some stuff]
> > .endif
> >
> > To build flavor2, simply run:
> >
> > make FLAVOR=flavor2
> >
> > To depend on a specific flavor, write @<flavor> at the end of the depend
> > string, for example, to depend on flavor "foo":
> >
> > RUN_DEPENDS=    something:origin at foo
> >

>From a USER perspective, this is an OPTION, correct?
IOW I would have to specifically ask for it.
I'm just hoping that it's early enough to ensure that FALVOR(S)
are an OPTION not an IMPOSITION.
I would like to suggest that one has to ask for it, before they
can have it. For example; something like one the following in
make.conf(5):

USE_FLAVORS
FLAVORS_ENABLE
HAS_FLAVORS

and it would NOT be a yes/no | true/false -- it is ALWAYS off, and
must be asked for before permitted/enabled.

Make no mistake; I love the flexibility that this [flavors] attempts
to provide. I'm just suggesting this to help prevent (unwelcomed)
surprises. :-)

Thanks!

--Chris