SF mastersites

Mark Millard markmi at dsl-only.net
Sun Oct 29 01:14:10 UTC 2017

blubee blubeeme gurenchan at gmail.com wrote on
Sat Oct 28 05:33:38 UTC 2017:

> what does [:tl] even mean here? There's nothing about it on the whole page:
> https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/porters-handbook/makefile-distfiles.html

Also in a later message:

> thanks for that tip but how would I know to look at man [1 make] for
> something like that?

${NAME:tl} is Makefile notation even in Makefiles having nothing to
do with ports (or potentially even FreeBSD). There probably is lots
of involved Makefile notation not separately documented in
makefile-distfiles.html or other parts of porters-handbook/ .

Generally on BSD's, Linux's, and the like the Makefile notation
is documented in the man page for the make variation in use
(make, gmake, fmake, etc.).

Across types of systems "make" can vary which variant it refers
to. So, various man pages for "make" can disagree. The one in
the environment in question needs to be consulted unless one
knows an alternate name as used in an alternate environment.

So many standards to choose from. . .

===
Mark Millard
markmi at dsl-only.net