portmaster, portupgrade, etc

Baptiste Daroussin bapt at FreeBSD.org
Fri Oct 6 08:55:14 UTC 2017

On Thu, Oct 05, 2017 at 10:08:54PM +0000, Baho Utot wrote:

> On 10/05/17 16:27, Grzegorz Junka wrote:

> > > [putolin]

> > > So what you are really saying is Go to hell old farts we don't need
> > > you here.  We are not going to listen to you as you are too old to
> > > know anything.  You are old and stupid.
> > >
> > > It is looking like I will need to move away from FreeBSD if that is
> > > really what is being accomplished here.
> >
> > But do those old farts have anything interesting to say or they are just
> > making noise? What's the alternative to the proposed direction?
> >
> > GrzegorzJ
>
> Everyone should be heard.  who knows if the direction would be the same?
>
> You won't hear from this old fart as every time I have had a question or
> input on direction All I got was grief.
>
> The last time was about pkgng.  As someone that moved from LFS/building my
> own distribution to FreeBSD, and adding a package manager and tools for LFS.
> I think I may have learned something in that process.  SO what did you folks
> do, Well I was just bitch slapped down.  So much for user input.  Hell pkgng
> can not even merge configurations file in /etc when is that going to be
> fixed.
It can... and for a while, the fact it is not used in packaging base is another
subject, but the tool can definitly do it.

[...]
> Anyway it looks like I will be moving to OpenBSD or just go back to rolling
> my own as I have more free time to pursue building systems that work for me.
> FreeBSD just doesn't look like it will be a fit for me in the future.

Have you figured out that OpenBSD is a step further in the direction you are
rejecting: They have FLAVORS for decades and they do strongly recommend users to
use binary packages in the first place... Just sating...

Bapt