portmaster, portupgrade, etc

Mike Clarke jmc-freebsd2 at milibyte.co.uk
Fri Oct 6 08:48:40 UTC 2017

On Friday 06 Oct 2017 00:29:17 tech-lists wrote:

> I'd use packages more were it not for the received wisdom that mixing
> packages and ports is a Bad Thing (tm) - is this still the case?

The main thing is to keep your ports tree synchronised with the version used for the
package repository. I find that the script at
https://gist.github.com/reedacartwright/8622973baf89b263a6d7 is a useful tool for
this. The script hasn't been updated beyond 10.x-RELEASE so if you're running 11.x-
RELEASE you need to patch the script by adding the following line:

	110amd64-default)   PKG_SERVER=beefy9.nyi.freebsd.org ;;

If only pkg could be made to report the revision number of the ports tree it was built
from we wouldn't need to hunt around for this information.

--
Mike Clarke