Status of portupgrade and portmaster?

David Wolfskill david at catwhisker.org
Mon Oct 2 19:55:02 UTC 2017

On Mon, Oct 02, 2017 at 11:51:33AM -0700, Don Lewis wrote:
> On  2 Oct, Marco Beishuizen wrote:
> > I'm running 11.1-STABLE now, upgrading every few months or when there is
> > an important security fix. Do I have to build a new system twice in that
> > case (once my running system and once the poudriere jail)?
>
> Yes, but at least the poudriere jail doesn't build the kernel bits.  The
> real pain point is that when you update the jail, the next bulk package
> build will toss all the previously built packages and force a full
> rebuild from scratch.  That makes sense if you believe that the contents
> of the jail affect the contents of the packages build using that jail.
> If you don't think that is true, then why bother to update the jail.
>
> I stick to pretty much the same schedule as you for updating my -STABLE
> machines, though I'm doing it for 10.4-STABLE i386, 11.1-STABLE amd64
> and i386, and 12.0-CURRENT amd64.  I try to do weekly package update
> runs.

With respect, that (building the world twice -- once for the host and
once for the poudriere jail) has not been my experience.

As described in <http://www.catwhisker.org/~david/FreeBSD/upgrade.html>
and <http://www.catwhisker.org/~david/FreeBSD/convert_i386_amd64.html>
(particularly the "Postscript: Subsequent Maintenance" section at the
bottom of the latter page), the machine that runs poudriere gets its
stable/11 environment updated daily; it runs poudriere twice each week
(Saturday and Sunday), and the thus-refreshed local repository is used
weekly (on Sunday).

As a case in point, on Saturday last (2 days ago, as of this writing),
the host system was updated from:

FreeBSD 11.1-STABLE #469  r324085M/324100:1101505: Fri Sep 29 03:39:21 PDT 2017     root at freebeast.catwhisker.org:/common/S1/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64

FreeBSD 11.1-STABLE #470  r324115M/324116:1101505: Sat Sep 30 03:41:57 PDT 2017     root at freebeast.catwhisker.org:/common/S1/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64

the ports working copy was updated from r450887 to r450972, and the
ensuing poudriere run recorded:

[11amd64-ports-home] [2017-09-30_10h55m37s] [committing:] Queued: 1091 Built: 1091 Failed: 0    Skipped: 0    Ignored: 0    Tobuild: 0     Time: 04:28:37

The following day, the host system was updated from:

FreeBSD 11.1-STABLE #470  r324115M/324116:1101505: Sat Sep 30 03:41:57 PDT 2017     root at freebeast.catwhisker.org:/common/S1/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64

FreeBSD 11.1-STABLE #471  r324138M/324155:1101505: Sun Oct  1 03:42:38 PDT 2017     root at freebeast.catwhisker.org:/common/S1/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64

the ports working copy was updated from r450972 to r451042, and the
ensuing poudriere run recorded:

[11amd64-ports-home] [2017-10-01_10h50m40s] [committing:] Queued: 183 Built: 183 Failed: 0   Skipped: 0   Ignored: 0   Tobuild: 0    Time: 01:42:10

Disclaimer: I do not claim expertise in ports-system wrangling.
While I use poudriere to build packages for my systems that are
only updated weekly, I use portmaster for those that are updated
daily.  I make no claims of optimal ... anything, really.  What I
describe seems to generally work for me, but my approaches are
almost certainly not suitable for most folks.  Despite that, it may
be possible to learn things from what others have done, so I have
tried to document what I did; please feel free to use it -- possibly
as an example of what NOT to do. :-)

Peace,
david
David H. Wolfskill				david at catwhisker.org