Status of portupgrade and portmaster?

abi abi at abinet.ru
Mon Oct 2 07:03:31 UTC 2017

01.10.2017 01:44, Jonathan Chen пишет:
> On 1 October 2017 at 11:29, abi <abi at abinet.ru> wrote:
>> 30.09.2017 20:06, Kevin Oberman пишет:
>>>
>>> As a result, I am no longer able to track HEAD and, if the issue is not
>>> resolved in some manner before 11 support ends, will be forced to move
>>> from
>>> FreeBSD after an using it for over 2 decades. I certainly hope that this
>>> is
>>> not what happens.
>>
>> Is it absolutely necessary to be so overdramatic ? synth is rather young
>> project and it's failure was very probable - written on long dead language
>> and supported by 1 person. It can't even be replacement for portmaster as
>> contains only preliminary support if port options.
> What sort of port options can portmaster support better than synth?
1. When port doesn't have options cached portmaster invokes dialog4ports
(poudriere can't do it in proper way, synth doesn't do it at all)
2. When options become outdated portmaster invokes dialog4ports
3. portmaster gives me summary what it would like to do
4. portmaster shows why it wants to build port A - it gives me
dependency chain. For example I spent 2 hours trying to figure what's
going on with poudriere (it pulls TEST dependencies - why?)

So, I'd say we have only 1 tool designed for end user.